BIBLE STUDY OUTLINE
YEAR OF HIGHER GROUND
STUDY 10: GRACE FOR OVERCOMING TEMPTATIONS (II)
TEXT: I CORINTHIANS 10: 6 – 14
Referring to where we stopped in the last study, it is very clear that the grace of God is sufficient for us to overcome in every temptation. This means one can only be trapped in a temptation if one chooses to. God makes a way of escape, but then we must walk in it.
TWO SIDES OF THE COIN
Temptation occurs in two inevitable ways. In whichever way, God assures that it shall be such as man can bear (I Cor. 10: 13) and He knows how He to deliver His children (II Thess. 3: 3; Psalm 34: 19).
- There are divine temptations, or such as come from God; God may be said to tempt His people, as He did Abraham ( 22: 1), by enjoining them things very hard and disagreeable to nature to try their faith, show them their weakness and need of Himself (I Pet 1: 7; 4: 12). Jesus, for instance, was driven by the Spirit into the wilderness where He was tempted (Mark 1: 12 – 13).
- There are also diabolical temptations, or such as come from Satan; who tempts by soliciting to sin, by suggesting blasphemous thoughts, and filling with doubts and fears; and by dissuading from the use of means, as attending at the throne of grace, and on the word and ordinances.
UNDERSTANDING WAYS OF ESCAPE
- Prayer –consistent prayer helps our spiritual sensitivity to God’s guide against temptation –Luke 22: 46
- The Accuracy of God’s Word –enrich yourself with God’s word –this helps us to overcome the disguise of the tempter who may want to twist God’s word to deceive us. Jesus knew God’s word accurately and He did not compromise. (Matt 4: 4; Col 3: 16; Psalm 119: 11).
- The Power of Contentment –the people who lack this quality are often vulnerable as victims of temptation –I Tim 6: 6 – 10.
- Self-Control –the ability to have control over one’s appetite, immoral urge, desires, emotion etc is a vital tool to overcome temptation –Dan 1: 8; Gen. 39: 7 – 9.
- Leave no Opportunity for Sin –Satan seeks for any slight opportunity to attack. This is why the Bible admonished us to put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof –Rom 13: 14 (see also Rom 6: 12).